YOUR VOTE COUNTS!

As a reminder...our readers will vote on who each of us should take on a second date! This date will be a group date with all three participants in this contest. The winner (or the person with the most dates), will receive a free date, paid for by the other two contestants.

Your chance to participate will take place THIS WEEK! Voting will be open ONLY Monday, 01 February until Friday, 05 February. He or she who receives the most votes will be announced once final plans are in place.

Although it may seem that you can vote more than once on any given computer, only the first vote actually counts (trust us, we've tried it out).

Our final blog posts will be written about our second dates. Thanks for your support in our friendly dating competition! We have really enjoyed this opportunity to get a jump start on our personal goals.

Happy Voting!

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Acceptance? Speech

As cliche as this may be, I feel like I have some people to thank for my success. I know this had little to do with me.
  • 12 of my dates were set up by another person. There is NO WAY I could have won without the help of those who set me up. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! What great people I have been able to meet and hope to keep in touch with. Jon's drive would have slaughtered me were it not for my wonderful friends setting me up!
  • Too many people to name were cheering for me! I can't even tell you how many people--even strangers--would come up to me and tell me how much they loved reading the blog and they were rooting for me, as the only girl, to win. Several people said they would do whatever it takes to see me win...I think they wanted it more than I did! I am truly grateful to my supporters.
  • I have the most wonderful, amazing, supportive roommates ever! They were there for me when the hard times in the race came along and I didn't think I could go on anymore. They never stopped encouraging and comforting me. And they gave me some girl time so I didn't go insane...not that boy time isn't good...but you girls understand, right?
  • I am thankful for all of you!! I have been watching as the votes come in and WOW! That many people even read this blog?? Honestly, thanks everyone.
  • The men who went on dates with me! Definitely could not have won this competition without all of you. I went into every date expecting and planning to pay; I had planned on spending more than $200 this month and ended up spending less than $30. Regardless of who paid, everyone I went out with was a gentlemen. Thank you.
  • Mostly, I am thankful to my Father in Heaven. He was more comforting and encouraging than anyone. It sounds a little weird to publicly thank Him on a blog for a dating competition, but He alone knows how much it really changed me.
I have to say, when the idea of this competition came about I told the boys I didn't want to do it because I would be so embarrassed when I didn't get any dates and they had a lot. I honestly did not think I would get more than 6 dates the entire month, and that was pushing it! I am grateful for the opportunities this competition has provided me.

I would like to offer a challenge to each of you:
If you are single, do something like this. No, I'm not saying you should try to go on a bunch of first dates in a month, start a blog and write about it. In fact, I'm not sure I would wish that on anyone. :) BUT, I am saying that you need to set some personal goals for dating this year. And make them hard goals! It is good for us all to get out of comfort zones a little bit and do something that scares us. And, as singles, we really do need to be dating more often. If we all do it together it won't be as scary.
If you are married, remember how much fun you have with your spouse and plan dates with them! And go out often. Remind yourselves why you fell in love with each other. No, I know nothing about married life, but I do know that this is important and can only do good things for your marriage.

And Jon is right...while I am (as I'm sure my date will be) grateful for a free date, the lessons I have learned from this are definitely the greater prize.

Oh yeah, and Happy Groundhog Day! Watch that first step, it's a dooooozy!

3 comments:

Adam and Christine Jardine said...

Yay for Shayla! It has been very fun to hear about all your dates. . . even though a phone call wouldn't hurt either! I miss you!

Kim Whitefield said...

You're such a great person, Shayla. Your heart is in such a right place. You have a lot to share with others and I'm glad these dates allowed you to be able to do that. It sure has made an impression on me; I can't wait to set a personal date goal with the hubby!

Anonymous said...

Hey Shayla thought of you when I saw that the LDS section of the Deseret News (Mormon Times) is looking for a dating blogger. Here is the URL of the article with more description of what they're looking for, pay, etc.: http://www.mormontimes.com/mormon_voices/guest_blog/?id=13234. Would love to keep hearing your dating thoughts and experiences!